This posting is going to be a little different. Recently a friend asked me a rather deep spiritual question concerning destiny, free will and the Sovereignty of God. What follows Is his question and my answer
Question- Since God knows our destiny, how do we have the “free will” to make the right choice knowing that our destiny is already decided.
1. God is the creator of all things, including time.
2. As the Creator of time He Himself is not restricted by time. You and I can only see the present, remember the past and wonder about the future. I believe that it can be said that God sees the past, the present, and the future the same as we see the present.
3. Therefore God knows our destiny because He sees it being played out.
4. We have free will in that we are allowed to make our own choices.
5. God is sovereign because He knows what our choices will be and He allows us to make them.
The bottom line is this, The fact that God knows the things we will do does not mean that He forces us to do them.
I don’t know if this answers the question but maybe it will give you something to think about. Here is a passage of scripture that I lean on when I cannot get spiritual issues resolved in my head.
““For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.”Isaiah 55:8-9 NKJV