There are three Great Institutions of God. On the day of Pentecost, He instituted the Church. In the book of Exodus He instituted government. But the most important is found in Genesis Chapter two. Here God instituted the Family. The family was, is, and always will be the foundation for all of civilized society. God’s plan was, is, and always will be that marriage is one man and one woman for life. So using The Ten Commandments as my guide I have developed what I call, “The Ten Commandments of Marriage.
1. You shall have no other person before your Husband or Wife
No other human being should come between you and your mate. Your mate must always be the most important person in the world to you.
2. You shall not put anything before your husband or wife.
Your mate must be the top priority in your life they must come before your house, car, pleasure, money or fame, and anything else.
3. You shall not take your spouse’s name in vain
You must honor your spouse and seek to put each other first above all others. You must not dishonor each other’s name, person, desires, or dreams. And you must not belittle find fault or criticize. Instead, you must seek out ways to encourage your spouse.
4. Set time apart for one another religiously.
Your spouse and children are worthy of your undivided attention.
5. Honor not only your father and mother but also your father-in-law and mother-in-law.
When you are married you become part of another family. Honor your spouse’s mother and father as if they are your own.
6. You shall not destroy the spirit within your spouse.
Careless and hateful words wound severely the ones who love us the most.
7. “You shall not commit adultery.
The person to whom you are married is your helpmate, your friend, and your lover.
Guard your heart, your eyes, and your body they belong to and are for only your spouse.
8. You must not take from your spouse their dignity and self-worth.
And never take from your spouse what they are unwilling to give. Never take from your husband or wife the privilege of giving gifts and always receive with gratitude the gifts that they bring to you.
9. You shall not bear false witness to each other.
Always be honest with each other.
10. You must not seek greener pastures either physical or material.
Be content with that which God has given you. God will bless your lives together.
There is strange math involved in a Good and Godly marriage. When two people are married the two become one. If the two who have become one will join hands with Jesus then the two will become three. The Bible teaches that a cord of three strands will not be easily broken. If you will keep the Ten Commandments of Marriage, God will sanctify and bless your home, filling it with love and joy.
Down Where The Pavement Ends